RBI Guidelines for NRI Investment in properties in India
- Permission for purchase of residential or commercial property
Sale of Property
- NRIs holding Indian passports: No permission required
- NRIs holding foreign passports: Intimation to RBI via form IPI-7 within 90 days of purchase of property or final payment of consideration. Funds through NRE/NRO accounts.
Repatriation of Sale Proceeds
- Property held by NRIs in India can be sold. No permission is required from the Reserve Bank of India.
Income from Property
- Repatriation of proceeds from sale of residential property purchased on or after 26th May 1993 is allowed.
- The RBI will consider repatriation of the consideration amount remitted in foreign exchange for the acquisition of 2 properties.
- The sale has to have taken place after 3 years from the date of final purchase deed or from the date of final payment.
- Application of repatriation (IPI-8) has to be done within 90 days of the sale of the property.
NRIs can let out immovable property in India. The rental income from the investment has to be credited to the NRO account.
- Subject to change from time to time
- E. &O.E